Rules and Borrowing Policies
Toronto Tool Library – Rules and Borrowing Policies
1. Members must be 18 years of age or older to become members of the Toronto Tool Library (TTL).
2. Only members are authorized to use TTL tools. Members shall not permit the use of TTL items by non-members. If damage to any tool occurs as a result of the use by any non-member, the member who signed out the tool will be responsible for repair costs or replacement.
3. If tool(s) is/(are) not returned or incurs damages, the TTL will charge the full amount for repair or replacement of these tools.
4. Tools may be borrowed for a period of 3-7 days depending on the library location hours of business. All tools borrowed are to be returned to the TTL by close of business on their due date. Tools may only be returned during TTL’s open hours and to the locations from which they were borrowed.
5. If a tool is returned late, the Member will be responsible for a late fee of $2 per tool per day for most power tools and $1 per tool per day for hand tools. Top-tier tools will have a $5/day late fee, a TTL staff member will identify such tools upon checkout. Renewals are only permitted for High-Five Members, otherwise a late-fee will apply for tools kept longer than the initial borrowing period. Late fees are capped at the full replacement cost of the tool plus a $5 administrative fee per tool. Late fees are subject to change.
6. TTL may replace severely delinquent tools (30 days), holding the Member responsible for the full replacement cost plus a $5 administrative fee. Fines must be paid in full before borrowing additional items.
7. TTL reserves the right to use appropriate steps to retrieve delinquent tools or unpaid fines and fees, including the use of a collection agency and/or legal action and assess the delinquent Member with the cost of any such action. TTL also reserves the right to forgive fees due to special circumstances.
8. The Member agrees that the TTL is not responsible for any manufacturing, material, or quality of workmanship defects of borrowed tools.
9. TTL staff members are available to assist in explaining the operation of tools. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
10. The Member agrees that if any borrowed tool becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the tool and notify the TTL of the issue on return, if not earlier.
11. All tools are to be returned in the same condition as they were issued , barring normal wear and tear. All tools must be returned clean. The Member agrees to pay for the loss of or damage to any item and further agrees to accept TTL’s assessment of condition of items and assessment of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items in part or in total. This restitution amount could equal the full replacement cost of the item plus a $5 administrative fee.
12. TTL will not accept reservations or waitlists for tools in advance. Tools can be signed out on a first-come, first-served basis.
13. TTL reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
14. TTL reserves the right to alter the tool policy at any point.
Updated October 2017